Sunday 5 January 2014

Home made dairy-free Vanilla Cheesecake

I sometimes cry at the price of some of the dairy free cakes, so have decided to try and do some baking myself. I'll find a recipe then follow the instructions vaguely, sometimes I fail but sometimes my hap hazard approach works! Mr non-LI keeps telling me to follow them!

So enter the vanilla cheesecake.

What you need:
Digestive biscuits - I used these
Marg - Vitalite
Tofu - big block that I got from the Seewoo
Maple Syrup
Baking tin - one with removable base is best
Oven
Patience

Beat up the digestive biccys so they are crumbs. I put a few into a sandwich bag and beat them with a rolling pin. Makes a terrible noise that scared my cats! But it works. Once you have enough for a thick base melt some marg, about 1/4 of the tub (Vitalite).

Mix the melted marg and crumbs in a bowl then transfer to your baking tin. Press down and try not to burn yourself! Put to one side.

Now in a bowl break up the tofu (about 500-600g worth). Add about 80-90mls of the syrup. Blend with an electric handheld blender. Once it is of smooth consistency, taste to make sure it's sweet enough. If you want it more vanilla like, add some essence. BUT I find the maple syrup does the trick!

Pour the consistent mixture on the base (in the tin), spread evenly.

Pop into the oven for about 20 mins at gas mark 7. Or 200 C.

The result:




Many inches added to our waist and many lbs gained.

I don't claim to be the world's best cook ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment