Tuesday 13 March 2012

Can I eat real cheese?

Do you like cheese?

If you do and have found out you are lactose intolerant, don't fear. No matter how severe your intolerance is, you will still be able to eat real cheese!

As lactose is a sugar, it's relatively easy to tell which cheeses you can eat.

So I'm idly going about my day to day life and boom! A life changing article (well almost). At first I wasn't sure about it at all. Apparently certain goat's cheeses contain no lactose (wasn't sure of the science bit) and my sort can eat them! No way. Happy days indeed. So I tried some feta. Seemed okay and after reading the nutritional information on the back, it dawned on me and my husband (joint effort). Carbohydrates nil of which sugar nil......... Lactose is a sugar so cheese which has no sugar has no lactose!!!!!!!!! It's been staring me in the face for all these years and so obvious really.

So there you have it, any cheese that has no sugar or no carbs, you can eat :-) Goat, cow or otherwise!

Now depending on how much lactose you can tolerate depends on what cheese you can eat! Myself, I've got a very low tolerance, a drop would set me off. So be warned if you are like me, you must always eat the cheeses that have no carbs or sugars, trace or 0.01g per 100g will set you off - as I've sadly found out :-( Funny that isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment